Barberton Historical Buildings - Gold Exchange

gold exchange barberton

The De Kaap Stock Exchange was the second stock exchange built in Barberton. It was built in 1887, but its existence was short-lived. In 1899 the building was bought by Sammy Marks, and in 1910 it was taken over by the Barberton Municipality, to house the Carnegie Library and the first museum. When the condition of the building deteriorated to such an extent that it had to be demolished, only the Facade could be preserved. Location: Pilgrim Street.


barberton gold exchange 1887

More History >>     Archaeology     Anglo Boer War     Buildings     Creation of Barberton     Eureka City     Gold Mining     Kruger Millions     Museum     Personalities     Samora Machel Monument     Swazi     Photo Gallery