Barberton House Museums
Lee Road. Belhaven, built in 1904, is an example of a pre-fabricated house with corrugated iron outer walls and pressed iron panels on the interior. It is furnished in the style of the late Victorian and early Edwardian periods, and depicts the lifestyle of a wealthy middle class family.
Lee Road. This wood and iron house was built for Mrs. Emily Fernandez in the early 1890's. She married Mr. Thomas Lee, who had a Photography and Drapery Business in Barberton. The building now houses an exhibition mainly about Rimers Creek and the restoration of the building.
18 Bowness Street. The original house and outbuildings were constructed in 1886 by James Stopforth, a Baker and General Dealer, originally from England, and later from Pilgrims Rest. In 1892 the house was rebuilt. It was occupied by the Stopforth family from 1886 until 1983 and is furnished with the original furniture and household articles used by the Stopforth family between 1886 and 1914.
Corner of Judge and Lee roads. The fort dates from 1901, and is an example of the earliest design of the blockhouse constructed by the British in South Africa. During the time of the Anglo-Boer war the British built it as a position of defence against the Boer forces. It was manned by the Barberton Town Guard which consisted of local volunteers under the command of J W Winter.
Museum 36 Pilgrim Street Barberton 1300. Tel: +27 (0) 13 7124208 Fax: +27 (0) 13 7124281 Email: Curator.